If you are looking to use the social networking app Instagram, you would need to provide your date of birth to ascertain your age. The app previously only checked if the users are 13 years old or not.
Instagram recently made the announcement through a press release. The facebook owned social networking app stated that this change was made for the purpose of making it safer for youngsters. While the birthday will not be visible to the public, it will be used for recommending suitable privacy settings and other safety features.
Starting today, we’ll ask for your birthdate when creating an account, and in the coming weeks, we'll give you more control over who can message you.
— Instagram (@instagram) December 4, 2019
The date of birth information will also be used for the targeted ads specific to the particular age group.
Instagram also stated in the email it sent that
“While we expect ads targeted by age to be more accurate on Instagram following this update, this isn’t the reason we made these changes…Our focus is on developing new, age-appropriate experiences for young people using this information.”
Instagram has also been planning to introduce a host of new policy features as well. That way, you would be in a position to control who can send you direct messages.
However, Instagram is not planning to verify the date of birth, and that may be something that can let the children lie about their real age. Perhaps, the software plans rely upon the machine learning to predict the date of birth and the actual age of the users.
In any case, Facebook seems to be taking huge steps in its attempt to erase the complaints of privacy violations and safety for its users. The changes incorporated on Instagram are a few of the steps in that direction.
- How to choose the best keyboard?
- What Is The Role Of Cartoons In Children Development?
- Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 releasing on the same day, fans plan a Keanu Reeves’ day
- WhatsApp will stop working on these phones in 2020
- Methane Pulse detected in South Sudan wetlands, scientists suspect climate change as reason
- Saturn’s moon has developed some tiger stripes, and the scientists reveal the reason
- Google Chrome brings improved security features
- Microsoft finally announces Windows 10 Mobile is dead
- Juice WRLD Autopsy report inconclusive, need for more investigations
- Snapchat launches a new feature – lets you edit your face into videos
- Climate Change effect – World’s Oceans are losing Oxygen
- Kim Kardashian throws a Jurassic Park themed party for son’s birthday
- Google Assistant gets a new capability to take notes
- “Reno 911” is making a comeback after 10 years – on Quibi!
- Chinese scientists create Monkey- Pig Hybrids
- Microsoft claims it has found over 44 million users with Password Security issues
- Birds are getting smaller in size, scientists blame it on Climate Change
- Instagram now asks new users to provide their date of birth
- The New Digital Tax Regime – Will it hit US Tech firms?
- Peloton stands by its ad – says it was misinterpreted