We are all aware of the harrowing effects that climate change has been making us suffer. A new budding problem seems to have erupted and added up to the never-ending list issues which have resulted from climate change. A recent study has revealed that the oxygen levels in the oceans across the world have been on the decline.
Image – IUCN
The study was presented at the Global summit on climate in Madrid on Saturday. The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) published the report on Ocean Deoxygenation. The report was the result of over 67 ecologists and scientists from across 17 nations.
The study reveals that the oxygen depletion levels are going up considerably since the 1950s. From just around 40 to 45 sites with lower oxygen levels in 1950, the number has now reached over 700 as estimated in 2011. Scientists have blamed the loss of oxygen on global warming, which results in a rising temperature on the upper part of the oceans.
Like Dr. Grethel Aguilar, the acting director-general of IUCN puts it, the rising temperature of the oceans can throw the delicate marine life into disarray.
However, scientists aren’t blaming it on global warming alone, albeit it has been cited as a significant reason. The deoxygenation has also resulted because of excessive algae growth as well. The plant life in the ocean is growing because of the nitrogen deposition into the ocean beds. This has more to do with the fertiliser being run off into the waterways and sewages and ultimately into the ocean. Growing plant life can deplete oxygen levels considerably and thus increase the mortality rate of animals within the oceans.
- How to choose the best keyboard?
- What Is The Role Of Cartoons In Children Development?
- Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 releasing on the same day, fans plan a Keanu Reeves’ day
- WhatsApp will stop working on these phones in 2020
- Methane Pulse detected in South Sudan wetlands, scientists suspect climate change as reason
- Saturn’s moon has developed some tiger stripes, and the scientists reveal the reason
- Google Chrome brings improved security features
- Microsoft finally announces Windows 10 Mobile is dead
- Juice WRLD Autopsy report inconclusive, need for more investigations
- Snapchat launches a new feature – lets you edit your face into videos
- Climate Change effect – World’s Oceans are losing Oxygen
- Kim Kardashian throws a Jurassic Park themed party for son’s birthday
- Google Assistant gets a new capability to take notes
- “Reno 911” is making a comeback after 10 years – on Quibi!
- Chinese scientists create Monkey- Pig Hybrids
- Microsoft claims it has found over 44 million users with Password Security issues
- Birds are getting smaller in size, scientists blame it on Climate Change
- Instagram now asks new users to provide their date of birth
- The New Digital Tax Regime – Will it hit US Tech firms?
- Peloton stands by its ad – says it was misinterpreted