A new Android vulnerability has surfaced and has been affecting a wide range of devices, including those on the latest Android 10. The security research firm Promon has discovered a vulnerability called Google Strandhogg.
The vulnerability has been understood to give an option to the hacker to gain access to sensitive data of the users. In fact, Strandhogg places fake overlay screens on the apps that are trusted. That way, the vulnerability can be used by a hacker to introduce a fake log in screen on some of the apps. When you enter your data on the login screens, the data is compromised because you are entering the data on a fake screen.
The vulnerability appears to be affecting almost all major and popular apps and games. It was also identified that 36 malicious apps have already been utilising this vulnerability to extract the personal data from the users.
What makes it even more dangerous is the fact that hackers will be able to access your phone data without the need for gaining root access. The malicious apps can even pose themselves as genuine apps and ask for the permissions. Most of the permissions are easily granted as the users would be under the impression that they ae using genuine apps. The capability to add the overlay screen can be the perfect option to achieve the desired results for the hackers and malicious app developers alike.
Google has been appraised of the issue after which the malicious apps were promptly removed from the app store. But still the vulnerability is yet to be fixed.
- How to choose the best keyboard?
- What Is The Role Of Cartoons In Children Development?
- Matrix 4 and John Wick 4 releasing on the same day, fans plan a Keanu Reeves’ day
- WhatsApp will stop working on these phones in 2020
- Methane Pulse detected in South Sudan wetlands, scientists suspect climate change as reason
- Saturn’s moon has developed some tiger stripes, and the scientists reveal the reason
- Google Chrome brings improved security features
- Microsoft finally announces Windows 10 Mobile is dead
- Juice WRLD Autopsy report inconclusive, need for more investigations
- Snapchat launches a new feature – lets you edit your face into videos
- Climate Change effect – World’s Oceans are losing Oxygen
- Kim Kardashian throws a Jurassic Park themed party for son’s birthday
- Google Assistant gets a new capability to take notes
- “Reno 911” is making a comeback after 10 years – on Quibi!
- Chinese scientists create Monkey- Pig Hybrids
- Microsoft claims it has found over 44 million users with Password Security issues
- Birds are getting smaller in size, scientists blame it on Climate Change
- Instagram now asks new users to provide their date of birth
- The New Digital Tax Regime – Will it hit US Tech firms?
- Peloton stands by its ad – says it was misinterpreted